You don't get what you deserve.
You get what you take.

-Nemi

Thursday, 23 October 2014

I would stand in line for this.

It's been a bit over a month now since I returned Finland and it has been one of the biggest culture shocks that I have ever had. And still is. I'm now gathering some of the things that I've noticed, as well as some photos of what I've been up to.

Like baking.

And building a tiny snowman to guard our door.

I know Britons think that they love to queue, but I found it so hilarious when I went to see a film screening in Kerubi that during the intermission, people queued to the bar in pairs. Not like in UK, when the whole counter is full of people, but that the only people at the counter were the two people getting served and everyone else were in a nice queue behind these people. Luckily I realised how the social norm works here now, otherwise I would have just parked to the counter without realising that the people in queue were first.

I was not happy when the Finnish class I teach had no students one Monday afternoon.
But today my class had 9 people and it was a great day anyway with the beautiful weather!


I've always thought of myself somewhat less social person than average, depending on the company of course (the only people who think that I'm quiet are the ones who never allow me to say anything or listen when I do say something, so I've stopped wasting my energy on them). Now that I'm back home, I find myself a bit too social to the Finnish standards. Apparently small talk has grown on me, and I find it more difficult to engage with some people in here than in Scotland. Likewise, when I think that I'm saying something really funny, I only get a blank stare (this could also mean that I'm not as funny as I think I am...). I still need to learn how to be social in Finland (though being drunk works always but I can't afford to do it here!), because after spending so much time inside, I'm getting desperate for some human contacts!

I wore heels that I thought I had lost and realised when looking down that I do actually have ridiculously tiny feet compared to my height. Like paws (NOT hooves, Rob!)

I love the Finnish autumn. I have yet to felt miserable because of the weather, and that was a weekly thing in Scotland. The weather is getting cold but it's absolutely gorgeous in here! I love ruska, and now that the thin veil of snow and ice have arrived, it doesn't turn into grey, dirty slush instantly. This morning it was -13'C when I went to town, and I was perfectly comfortable, because the air was dry and there was no humid chill wind trying to reach my bones. As my friend posted on fb today, Finnish -10'C feels warmer than Scottish +10'C. I think it has a lot to do with the housing as well. For the first week back in Finland I couldn't even sleep with my duvet on because it was too hot! After living 4 years in flats that average room temperature was +16'C, coming to a house where the temperature rarely drops below +21'C was a bit of a shock. A positive one, though!

I realised that I needed new winter shoes and went to explore the options. I was quite tempted to get these!

However, I'm still disappointed of the lack of proper tea cup in Finland. Seriously, everyone who's lived with me that I need litres of tea daily and it's frustrating to drink it from those tiny coffee cups that are enough for a one sip! In addition, who thought that a 0.33 l is acceptable size for a pint?! Especially when I still have to pay for it as much as I would have paid for a pint in UK?! I went for few drinks with some friends to go see our old regular places (this time it actually was just few) and since I've been broke for the rest of the month.

I broke my phone and proved that even new Nokias can last (I glued it back together and it still works)

I went to the doctor here to continue the examinations with my heart (which are not fatal so good news!), and the doctor was so much more down to earth and I have to say that I liked the fact that she was instantly saying that it was probably nothing that required much action, to the doctor in the UK that was needing me for all tests despite telling me its nothing absolutely serious.

I'm sure there are other things as well, but I can't think of them at the moment...
I've also been as lazy as Otto (the doggy I borrow sometimes) here.

No comments:

Post a Comment